Friday, February 5, 2010
Barred Owls
Luke came home from school yesterday doing a call for the barred owl. He demonstrated several times and finally taught me to do it. Very fun trying, having him say "no, like this" and demonstrating again. His school had a nighttime field trip tonight to the Adrianna Hess Audubon Center in University Place and they were going to call owls to see if they could hear any. I guess the barred owl generally responds to calls. In the end I think the kids were too rambuncious to actually hear any and Luke was pretty mad about it. In case you are wondering, from Wikipedia "The usual call is a series of eight accented hoots ending in oo-aw, with a downward pitch at the end. The most common mnemonic device for remembering the call is "Who cooks for you, who cooks for you all." Once I read this I realized he's really actually pretty good at the call. Guess we'll have to try again sometime when there's less chaos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment