Saturday, October 16, 2010

Hilton Waikoloa Village

Funny how having a 4yo in tow changes your perspective. In the past we have strolled the grounds of the Hilton because they have beach front paths and it's somewhere to go walk around, but we've never been interested in staying there. Now that we have Luke I can that it's a great place for families. They have a small shallow sand pool for kids where they can dig and wade, which Luke absolutely loved. He spent a lot of time in the water without us which was a first. We had talked before we went and he knew there weren't going to be crabs so he was very comfortable. Next we went to the Lagoon Grill for lunch and he had a Blue Dolphin (curacao, pineapple juice and lime, I think) which he thought was the coolest thing. Then we went over to the salt water lagoon to rent a pedal boat. The lagoon run out to the ocean so the fish and turtles can come and go as they please. It's definitely not as nice for snorkeling as A Bay or Mauna Lani but the sand is dumped so they are no crabs. We pedaled about until my mom and Mike showed up. Luke wanted to go to shore and play with them so he did that and Randy and I rented SUP (stand up paddle) boards. The lagoon of course is like glass, there was little wind and the boards were huge and very stable so it made it easy for us beginners. I am not snorkeler or an open water person in general but I loved paddling around in the lagoon. I think the turtles may be fed on occasion because one turned around and followed me. Another swam right under my board. I usually only get to see them bobbing in the distance or napping on shore so it was a real treat. I love how they swim so effortlessly. We saw fish too of course. Luke and Randy spent the rest of the afternoon digging in the sand until the sun almost went down. Overall a very successful day.

No comments: