Saturday, March 31, 2012

Success!

What a great vacation we are having.  The only downside is that Randy isn't here to share it.  And that Luke has a bit of a cold.

The day before yesterday Luke spent the majority of the day swimming without his lifejacket.  He had swim fins on but that was it.  Yesterday and today he insists he cannot swim without a flotation device.  It's frustrating for me but I realize if he doesn't have the confidence there is not much I can do but keep swimming with him however he wants.

Yesterday afternoon Luke and I walked over to the Hilton to rent up a stand up paddle board and explore the lagoon.  The water stays calm no matter what.  The lagoon opens up to the ocean and the turtles and other sea life come in to explore the protected lagoon.  Luke tried really hard to enjoy being on the paddle board but in the end just wanted off.  I was so bummed that he didn't like it.  It's such a fun way to see the turtles and get a bit of exercise.  People were seeing eels as well and to be honest that probably would have really freaked him out even though he wasn't in the water.  Maybe next time.

Today we went to the beach for the first time, yesterday was too windy.  Luke was tentative at first, he's petrified of crabs but gradually loosened up and by the end was frolicking in the surf.  Amazing!  Last time we were here he would not dip a toe in the ocean.  He had so much fun playing in the water.

The Lavaman Triathalon is across the street tomorrow.  I tried to get Luke to do the kids event this morning, it was just a little beach run.  He wouldn't go for it.  There has been tons of athletes everywhere.  It's been really fun and I admit I'm a little jealous.  I might go over tomorrow to watch a bit by myself.  Not sure how much the kids will like it so I may just leave them behind.

No comments: