Luke was invited to a Santa Party at one of his classmate's house today. Instructions were to sneak in a "small gift" to give to the hostess to put in Santa's bag. So that's what I did. Unfortunately what I thought of as small and what other parents thought of as small was quite different. I should have kept the item in it's original package and not put it in a different box, in this case a small soda stream flavor package. He is too young to understand what's on the outside is not always what is on the inside. When everyone encouraged him to open the little box he just got overwhelmed. Luke was disappointed in his gift (it wasn't legos), embarrassed a bit about opening it in front of a bunch of people, and ran and hid behind me and burst into tear. We went in the other room and it took forever to calm him down. It was a huge combination of things gone wrong. I felt so bad, I know what it's like to want certain things and be given other things. I should have clarified what small meant and asked him for suggestions. Some days I just feel like I can't do anything right.

No comments:
Post a Comment