Saturday, April 3, 2010

Remodel continued...

Yesterday was a great day. Granted it was stormy and windy but Luke got to help with a bit of demo. In the picture above he is removing strips of lath from the wall while Erik works above removing nails. He was very excited to get to use the pry bar that his little grandpa had made for him. The rest of the morning was spent waiting to see if there was anything else he could help with. Randy came home just after lunch and I was able to get the dogs out for a walk when it was not raining too hard. I was sooo grateful not to have to walk in the dark and wind and rain!!

Randy helped Erik in the evening place the new support beam. It still doesn't have the full weight on it. There's more fastening into place that needs to be done. The opening is taller and a bit wider and I love it. I love that the edges are squared too. I have a really hard time visualizing and am quite relived by the way it looks so far. Hard to believe our space could feel more open than it already did but it does.


And strangely enough we are quite enjoying sharing a bedroom with Luke. It's easier to check on him and adjust the covers when I get up at night, he stays warmer and therefore sleeps better. He still wakes up between 5-6 and wants to snuggle but then sleeps until around 7:30 (so much nicer than 6:00!!!). It's really nice having a tv/play room too.
We were planning on going cross country skiing today. Luke is so eager to try out his skis. He's skied around the inside the house a couple of times to show them off to people and seems to have great balance. But today turned out not to be the best day. There is nearly 2 ft of new snow and another 6 in predicted for the day. Snoqualmie is lower and so they might get some snow mixed with rain or just rain. Not to mention I-90 has been a mess. We'll see how things are tomorrow and hopefully head up to the Iron Horse Trail.
And, finally, the neighbors came to us yesterday and told us they can no longer keep their basset hound, Nell. They just don't have time for her. If we don't want her they will find someone else who does. We're not sure we want her but Gracie absolutely loves her. I put Nell on a leash last night so the cat could roam free and Gracie went and cuddled next to Nell and started trying to chew through the leash. But we have to weigh all the cons too, Nell is a bit more destructive in terms of chewing, she is more vocal, and she's a hound so she's more smelly and sheds, a lot. But, her short legs, long ears and sad eyes make me smile. So, we'll see....

No comments: