Luke had another marathon (10 hour) playdate yesterday. It was Farmer's Market Saturday (which only happens once a month in winter) so I told them we had to go. The boys scootered up and I walked the dog. Luke was having a problem listening which made for a frustrating day. We were 2 blocks from home and the boys were scootering in the street, I shouted, "car coming move to the right!". Luke's friend moved to the right, Luke continued scootering where he was. Frustrated I shouted his name several times to no avail. Finally I shouted "STOP!" a couple of times and was able to catch up to him. I explained to him why I was so upset and told him he had to carry his scooter on the sidewalk the last two blocks. I was very frustrated and he was really pissed. When we got home he shouted, "you don't care about me" and I replied that I do and that's why I don't want him in the street when cars are coming!
Today I went to a cookbook club at a neighbor's house and saw Anna (another neighbor). I resolved not to be embarrassed, smiled and said, "Yes, we've met and yes, that was me screaming at my kid in front of your house yesterday". She was so incredibly generous and said it was great to see another mom lose it :) She also complimented me on getting down to Luke's level, talking to him and following through and making him carry his scooter home. Phew! Anna is someone I admire (she's a naturopath and fellow mom) so it was nice to hear she thought I did the right thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment