Thursday, January 19, 2012

Beautiful Snow and Ice

We have been enjoying a week of snow.  I kept Luke home from school on Tuesday even though he did have a full day of school.  Wasn't about to send him to school when there was snow on the ground.  He has had a lot of fun playing in the snow.  We got to know our new neighbors across the street better yesterday when they invited us over to sled on their little hill.  They have a little boy who is 2 1/2 years old.  We did some cross country skiing around the neighborhood. 

Waking up today to find all the snow covered with a glossy sheen was very weird.  I don't think I've even seen anything quite like it.  There is 1/2 inch of ice covering everything.  We had freezing rain all day, except for about an hour when it turned to snow.  It seems like it would be impossible to get in the car let alone get anywhere on the slick streets once inside.  Luke's cousin came over for awhile to keep him company.  It was a nice break :)  They went outside and destroyed all the ice with shovels.  I had to stop them from taking all the ice off the kale and collards.  Best to leave them to thaw naturally. 

Randy got on in time for the 3:15 train but that it got cancelled.  We debated having him hop a bus or wait for the next train.  There was a tree on I-5 in Federal Way as well as a couple of accidents so he decided to take the 3:50 train.  He's just now getting off, 2 hours and 45 minutes later (it usually takes an hour or less).  The freeway has been cleared.  We've talked about the unpredictability before and how if you're going to get stranded it would be much better to be on the train.  Hoping the roads aren't too bad.

Very thankful we have power as so many others in the area do not.  I hope the ice storm stops and doesn't just keep moving north.  It's amazingly beautiful but incredibly nasty.

No comments: