Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Preschool Teacher/Director Interviews

Luke and I spent 3 hours this morning at the Tacoma Nature Center participating in interviews for the teacher and director positions. I am so glad we went. Luke showed that he is ready for preschool and I got say in who his teacher would be.

The teacher who was chosen, Miss Jen was so unbelievably awesome. Luke was drawn to her and sat as close as he could, intently listening and followed right along with her on the outdoor activity (although he later said her hair was weird :). The other teacher I would have liked to pelt with stones. Her activity was far too sedentary. She read a story and held the book in front of Luke, who sat next to her, and he couldn't see. He asked several times if he could see and she made no real attempt to show him the pages. He was straining and trying to see and my heart was just breaking. I finally got up, went over and told him if he wanted to see he would have to move to another seat (which he did).

The director position is undecided, the moms seemed to be pulled for one and the head of the Nature Center seemed to really like the other. During the comment section she kept defending her and seemed to be trying to sway us. It sure seemed like she wanted the latter candidate. Either would have been fine with me. Obviously neither made an impact since I have completely forgotten their names!

When I went back in to get Luke he was so involved playing that I didn't want to interrupt so I backtracked a bit to watch but not be seen. He looked like he was having so much fun. The gal who was helping out made a point of coming over to me to tell me Luke was "very independent" when I was out of the room. Hurray!

No comments: