Thursday, February 21, 2013

I showed Luke a recent picture of Mark Hamill with C3PO and asked him who it was.  He said, "it looks like a playground attendant".  I laughed out loud and told him it was an older Luke Skywalker. 

Luke has been home with a cold the past 2 days.  Tuesday I let him sleep in and just didn't want him spreading his germs, I'm sure he could have powered through.  Wednesday he woke up with eyes so red I knew school would fear pinkeye so kept him home and popped up to the local eye doctor for a looksee.  It was a half day so even though I got the "all okay" it was pointless to take him.  We streamed "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" instead. 

What an awesome movie.  I love that he watched it with me.  It's about a Japanese man who left his home at the age of 9!!! and became a sushi apprentice.  He is now 85 years old and still runs his sushi restaurant in Japan.  He talks about how he loves what he does and all the fame and money in the world doesn't matter if you don't love your work.  He dreams of sushi.  His restaurant seats 10 people and the starting price for a meal in his restaurant is $300.  You get nothing but sushi. He talks about following your passion and always striving to be better at what you do.  Such a great message for kids today who just want to do whatever is easiest and makes them the most money.  They threw in a conservation message about overfishing which also made me happy.

Today he was back to school and everyone was so happy to see him when he came in.  "Do you still feel sick?", "You know when you cough germs fly 16 feet?".  I love his school.

No comments: